Frozen yogurt is an excellent choice for dessert that can replace traditional ice cream. It is as delicious as ice cream but limits the fat intake in your body. Moreover, you can choose a sugarless variety for a healthier option. So you will undoubtedly love this healthy and tasty dessert that you can also make at your home. You can either purchase the yogurt from the store or make it at home, but the main concern is can you freeze yogurt. And if you can, then what is the method?
Frozen yogurt and ice cream have the same primary ingredients, while yogurt contains bacterial cultures. This difference in the processing culture makes frozen yogurt a healthy dessert. And many of us wish to make this fantastic dessert at home. But before you start with your recipe, it is crucial to understand the process in detail to avoid any setback.
We have compiled the information such as whether you can freeze yogurt, the various changes during the process, etc. In addition, the article also contains a step-by-step guide on freezing the yogurt and how to use the frozen yogurt. So, be with us and learn how to make frozen yogurt at home.
Can You Freeze Yogurt?
The good news is that you not only can freeze yogurt but also it is an easy job. And you can enjoy yogurt anytime without running to the shop as you have it stored in your freezer.
You often notice your local superstore announcing fair offers on dairy products, including yogurt. But you hesitate to purchase it in bulk as you are unsure if you can freeze yogurt. So if you know how to freeze yogurt, it would be gainful in many ways. First, you can enjoy a great deal next time your supermarket announces an offer. Second, you don’t have to worry about finishing the product before the expiry date. Instead, you can store it in the freezer to use conveniently in a future time.
Step-By-Step Guide on Freezing the Yogurt
Freezing yogurt is too easy a process for anyone to learn. However, many people ask, can you freeze yogurt? It means they are not sure about the process. So we have described it below for those who are not an expert in this task.
- Start with placing a sheet of parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Now transfer the yogurt to the tray in two equal parts. You can use a large spoon for this task. Else, an ice cream scooper will work fine to transfer the yogurt nicely and quickly. It is crucial to keep a gap of one inch between the two portions. Otherwise, there may be a mess of white wet products. on the tray.
- Keep the tray in the freezer in a flat position. And make sure that the two parts of yogurt remain in their places. Then close the door and leave the yogurt for 4 to 5 hours in the freezer.
- When you see two balls of fully frozen yogurt, remove them from the tray. And transfer the balls to an airtight container. Now you can store this yogurt in the freezer for up to 3 months. And use it later as fresh yogurt.
- For too watery yogurts, you can use the ice cube tray to get separate frozen yogurts balls.
Bonus Read: How to Thicken Chili? Best Effective Ways
Tips for Properly Freezing Yogurt
- If you freeze yogurt in small portions, you will get the best result. This method will help to retain the original taste and texture of the yogurt as much as possible. And if you want to get a precise amount of yogurt, you can freeze it in an ice cube tray. It will give you approximately 1 ounce or two tablespoons of yogurt in each portion.
- It will be great if you know in advance how you would use frozen yogurt. In this case, you can choose the amount of yogurt in each portion as the recipe needs. Also, if you want to freeze yogurt in more significant amounts, use the Souper Cubes freezing tray. It can contain up to 1 cup of yogurt in each cube.
- If the yogurt you’re freezing has fruit chunks in it, then give it a good stir before transferring to the freezer. Otherwise, the fruit chunks will sink to the bottom of the container. And stirring will spread the elements to get you a bite of the fruit in every spoon.
- Yogurt, in general, is a partially liquid product, and there are chances to expand as it freezes. So it would be good to leave some space at the top of the container to make room for expansion. Otherwise, the liquid part may leak out, and it will create a mess in your freezer.
What are the Changes that Occur After Freezing Yogurts?
It is an ordinary matter that the frozen yogurt will be icy. However, the primary condition of freezing yogurt is that it slows down the bacterial growth process. So it helps to keep the yogurt healthy and fresh for a more extended period. And you can use it even after the labeled expiration date.
So, you can expect your yogurt remains almost unchanged after freezing. Here are the three main things that occur after you freeze yogurt:
Apart from vegan yogurt, which is lactose-free, all other yogurt contains dairy products. And it causes the fat and water to separate after freezing. And when you thaw it, you may find that the defrosted yogurt is slightly grainy. In contrast, regular yogurt is much smoother and creamier. The exact changes will depend on the brand and type of yogurt you are freezing.
These days yogurt is available in different flavors, and it is easy to find one that matches your taste. However, these flavors may change after freezing. And significantly, there will be a tangy flavor. It is because freezing reduces bacterial growth that results in a sour-ish tang in the yogurt. And it also alters the taste.
Freezing of yogurt reduces bacterial growth and develops a tangy flavor. Many of us like this tanginess though it depends on everybody’s taste. So you can add a sweetening agent after thawing the yogurt if your recipe needs the sweet version.
Just like texture, the consistency of the yogurt will also experience change after you freeze it. Again, it happens due to the separation of fat and water that makes the yogurt a bit grainy. However, a good stirring can bring back the smoothness to some extent.
What are the Best Ways to use Frozen Yogurt?
Frozen yogurt is almost the same as fresh yogurt, with a difference in texture and flavor. So you can use it in all the recipes that need fresh yogurt. Moreover, you can use frozen yogurt in any cooked recipe to get the same effect as fresh yogurt. Here are the typical recipes to use frozen yogurt.
Baking: If you use frozen yogurt in a baked recipe, there will be no difference in the food you cook. And you may even forget that the yogurt you have used is not fresh but frozen.
Cooking: When you use yogurt in a cooked recipe, it gets lost in the other ingredients. So it doesn’t matter whether you have added frozen yogurt or fresh yogurt. The result would be the same with both forms of yogurt. So it is an excellent idea to use frozen yogurt in a cooked recipe.
Sauces and dips: If you mix the yogurt with other ingredients, the texture will anyhow change. And one won’t even notice whether it is fresh or frozen yogurt. In addition, when you stir or blend the frozen yogurt, it becomes smooth and creamy again. So it is a perfect way to use frozen yogurt.
Also Read: Can You Freeze Sour Cream? Is It Safe?
Ans. You can freeze fresh yogurt in remarkably well condition for up to two months. And it applies to both homemade and stored-purchased yogurt.
Ans. You can store yogurt in the refrigerator for one to two weeks and in the freezer for one to two months.
Ans. After freezing the yogurt, the fat, and water separate. And when you thaw it, you may find that the defrosted yogurt is slightly grainy. Also, due to the slow bacterial growth, the yogurt gets a tangy flavor. However, frozen and defrosted yogurt is still healthy to eat.
Ans. The best way to thaw yogurt is to keep it in the refrigerator overnight. This way, it will defrost at a constant temperature. However, keeping the frozen yogurt at room temperature is not a good idea. It may spoil your yogurt.
Frozen yogurt is an excellent dessert that you can take as a substitute for ice cream. Also, yogurt contains less fat compared to ice cream. So it is a healthy option for enjoying dessert. You can either purchase the yogurt from the store or make it at home, but the main concern is can you freeze yogurt. This article contains a step-by-step guide on freezing the yogurt and how to use the frozen yogurt. So hopefully, the post will be helpful for those who want to know how to freeze yogurt.
You May Like: Best Cheese For Grilled Cheese [ #Foddie’s Choice]